Young students learn the essentials of this traditional Japanese martial art.
What will my child learn in this class?
Kids first learn the basic body movements of aikido, which help to boost self-control, agility, balance and flexibility, as well as the fundamentals of dojo etiquette. The martial art also teaches youngsters how to work with others respectfully and the importance of focus in reaching their full potential.
Aikido techniques are based on weapons training, and students learn how to use the bokken (wooden sword), jo (wooden staff) and tanto (wooden knife) safely and correctly while developing their posture, movement, timing and spatial awareness. In these classes, younger students use specially designed foam replicas of the weapons.
Children from as young as 5 are welcome to join this class, and youngsters close to their 5th birthday are free to take a trial session.
What are the benefits of these classes?
Children experience a Japanese martial art in an environment of fun and discipline. The program's structured approach to physical development also benefits mental development, and students build self-awareness, confidence and coordination.
Who will teach these classes?
Classes are led by Paul Neuman (pictured), chief instructor of Pacific Aikido and fifth-degree black belt. Originally from Vancouver, Canada, he has been teaching aikido to adults and children since 1991 and at the Club since 1999. As part of Pacific Aikido, the Club's aikido group is a registered dojo of the Aikikai Foundation-Aikido World Headquarters.
• Jul 4, 11, 18, 25 | 9:30–11am | Ages 5–12 | ¥18,480 (90 minutes x 4)
• Jul 4, 11, 18, 25 | 11am–12:30pm | Ages 13 & above | ¥18,480 (90 minutes x 4)
• Aug 1, 8, 15 | 9:30–11am | Ages 5–12 | ¥13,860 (90 minutes x 3)
• Aug 1, 8, 15 | 11am–12:30pm | Ages 13 & above | ¥13,860 (90 minutes x 3)
• Venue: Gymnasium (mask required)
• Jul 7, 14, 21, 28 | 3:30–4:30pm | Ages 5–9 | ¥12,320 (60 minutes x 4)
• Jul 7, 14, 21, 28 | 4:30–6pm | Ages 5 & above | ¥18,480 (90 minutes x 4)
• Aug 4, 11, 18 | 3:30–4:30pm | Ages 5–9 | ¥9,240 (60 minutes x 3)
• Aug 4, 11, 18 | 4:30–6pm | Ages 5 & above | ¥13,860 (90 minutes x 3)
• Venue: The Studio (mask required)
• If there are not enough students for two separate classes, one class schedule will be selected.
• Trial class: contact Pacific Aikido to arrange
• Uniforms & weapons: available from Pacific Aikido (from ¥7,700)
• Prices include consumption tax
Classes follow the strict Club guidelines on hygiene and class size. The curriculum allows for no contact and social distancing. Depending on the wishes of each student's family, training can be conducted with some physical contact, weapons training with no contact, or a combination of the two.